Thursday, January 9, 2014

Novelizations of movies, and how they work hand-in-hand

I love movies based on books, mainly because they have a lot more meat to them and so seem to be a lot more detailed. There's another side to it, though, and that's making a book from a movie screenplay. I'm a sucker for them. I freely admit that I enjoy those more than the actual movie more often than not. I have talked with some authors about the process (and it doesn't sound all too pleasant) and I'm amazed how well they generally pull it off. Scenes are included that are cut in the final movie, characterizations are normally stronger, and even the dialogue is better.

When I have the opportunity, I'll grab the novelization of a movie the moment it comes out (which is usually prior to the release of the movie, amazingly enough). To me, they go hand in hand. Together, they form a larger story that works better than either on their own. Of course, that's an opinion, but it does appear to hold up to scrutiny. I encourage you to check out the official novelization of any movie you enjoy.

In the category of hopes and dreams, I do fantasize about having that particular task assigned to me one day--or even better would be having one of my own books made into a movie. Anyway, the process is an intriguing puzzle. The writer is given an early draft of the screenplay, without all the final alterations, and then very little else. Any holes, or leaps, must be filled in by the imagination of the writer. It's amazing what happens, and I'm a big fan.

So, I tip my hat to all the writers who are tasked with filling out a novel based solely on the basic screenplay of a movie that is still in the works. Incredible feat of skill. I salute you!

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment