Monday, January 6, 2014

Rainbows, the wonderful arches of color that hold up the sky

Colors are a complete mystery to me. I have a type of color blindness (Red-Green specifically) which prevents me from seeing the particular shades of anything. I can see strong colors, but lose everything else. And, yet, rainbows are miraculous splashes of color that go beyond my ability to describe. They are intense, precise, spectacular bursts of vision that sizzle in the mind and revitalize lost loves. I can only imagine what colors they actually hold, and it makes me grin at the thought.

Perhaps because of my inability to see colors properly, I'm fascinated by the subject. Sadly, it makes the new 3D movies a bit of a wash for me, since the colors used to separate the layers just don't work on me. Anyway, colors never seem to end. I'm absolutely astonished by the number of shades, new names, and the amazing swirls all around that never stop. It's fantastic!

You see, despite my colorblindness, color is all around me and I love to recognize that fact. I've at times been driven nearly to despair because of it, but the truth is that I'm grateful to be included in a world of vibrant color without limits. And rainbows are the crescents of hope above it all. What incredible miracles they are! And how many types of rainbows are there? Again, incredible!

Winter rainbows are my particular favorites.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment