Saturday, January 25, 2014

Physical descriptions, especially looks and clothing. How much does it matter?

I suppose there are two schools of thought regarding how much description is the right amount. Some say keep it simple, others say go for the gold and tell it all. Places and objects are not normally that big of an issue, but how about specific characters? Should you describe the hair, eyes, makeup, clothing, tattoos, distinguishing marks, and how about facial expressions, or quirks?

I've seen stories go into astonishing detail, where every physical feature was described brilliantly, and other stories where the same is tried and falls flat. Tolkien loved to describe the landscape to such detail that it was very easy for my imagination to put me right in the place and see it myself. However, such descriptions are long and don't move the story forward and so make it possibly too boring for the reader. At the same time, giving too little description doesn't establish a sense of place. It's a tough balance to achieve.

This issue really isn't even restricted to the written word. I remember an interview about the famous scene from the movie Independence Day where the White House is blown apart. The special effects team leader was talking about how detailed they were in putting chairs and tables, and even little coffee pots inside the model. I've watched that scene dozens of times, and I can't see any of that. So, I wonder if it was all wasted effort? On the other hand, the newest Lord of the Ring movies are simply dripping with detail (especially the elven places) and it's all wonderful.

Me, I'm a minimalist for the most part. I try to give imagination a prod in the direction I want and then let the reader take it from there. My belief is it makes things more interactive as the reader takes an active part in the story. There should be a give and take between author and audience throughout the story experience. To me it just makes more sense, and allows the reader to never be wrong as they visualize the characters and environments.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment