Friday, January 3, 2014

James Bond, the old and new, the books and the movies.

Spy fiction is fun. Gadgets, intrigue, secrets, politics, and barely understandable details of international behavior. In the genre, James Bond is probably the biggest star, though there certainly are others. I've enjoyed the short stories quite a bit, and the movies a great deal. There's quite a lot of difference between the written fiction and the movies, but the spirit remains the same.

In the end, there's a good guy outmaneuvering the bad guy, while things are saved and all is made well again. It's a funny kind of fiction really, because it rarely goes wrong in the end, and the hero is usually not in much danger throughout. Almost like watching a ninja movie, because you know how it's going to work out before it even begins. But, then, I think the fun of spy fiction isn't in the result but in the method.

James Bond movies are usually loaded with gadgets and technology. However, the books are the opposite, emphasizing James Bond's skills specifically and not the devices. Being a complete nerd, I love the gadgets and all the little toys of the movies. It's one reason I love Batman stuff. The gizmos give a flair to the genre that I don't see in most other stories. And, especially James Bond.

I do wonder about the various actors and writers who have dealt with Mr. Bond movies over the years. My favorite has been the new Daniel Craig version, just because he's more action and less flirt. But, the stories have a certain depth to them that I like, though Bond never seems to really grow much as a person--instead remaining tough and grimacing throughout. However, in a few of the new movies we see him actual doubt himself and change and grow. I like that, and I hope it continues.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment