Monday, January 27, 2014

Maleficent, Disney's iconic villain is back!

Just in case you weren't aware, Maleficent is the vicious witch in the Disney classic Sleeping Beauty. This villain also transforms into a dragon, and imprisons an innocent girl in a magical sleep, surrounded by a magical wall of thorns. Well, Disney is now releasing a new movie featuring this iconic villain. I've loved the previews so far, and I'm crossing my fingers that they don't hold back. This villain is evil personified. There are no redeeming qualities about her, she is dangerous and completely wicked.

I've listed Maleficent as one of my favorite villains. She is wonderfully powerful, charismatic, and a direct force in the story. However, she is also a very one dimensional character. Her presence is felt throughout the classic movie, but she doesn't actually do more than act evil and prove her power is real. There is very little about who she is and why she is what she is. This new movie will bring all those questions about her background to light.

I'm an optimist about this movie, and what I've seen so far really looks great. Maleficent is a great villain, and this could make her even greater. What I hope is that they will still focus on story, rather than her itself, and make a compelling movie. And, I think the actress they picked (Angelina Jolie) is perfect for the role. Cross your fingers, this movie could make Maleficent as much a household name as Darth Vader.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment