Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Time for a fair ... state fair that is.

I love state fairs. When I was a kid, we would trudge down, spend far too much on tasty pastries, and enjoy a free concert or two. One of my very special memories is enjoying a concert from a man of many voices. He pretended to shoot the rafters with a six shooter, rolled wooden doorknobs down the stairs, did a fantastic impression of a locomotive, and entertained with his hilarious stories throughout. Apparently he was the sound effects for the Disney movie, "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" (storm sounds, wind noises, and lightning, etc.).
image credit
Depending on my mood, I'll either enjoy the games or become very frustrated. Usually I won't play them anymore ... not because they're rigged (they aren't cheating exactly, but are still insanely difficult to actually win). Mostly, I enjoy watching the people interacting with others. Also, there's lots of shopping to do, and even I can find interesting things and trinkets. It's a good thing I don't bring much money, because I could spend a lot on stuff I don't actually need--that goes for the fried butter and funnel cakes too.

My wife is entering her quilts into the fair, so I'll surely go see those. It's neat to see how she has grown in confidence, and isn't afraid to put her work out there for others to critique. Takes a lot of guts to do that. If you've ever gone to see what people enter, it's absolutely stunning to see the variety of arts represented, and the wide variety of talent. Last year we could have spent several days just looking at the arts and crafts section, but there's also food, beverages, collections, and on and on and on. Whatever you enjoy, I'm sure you'll find it at the fair.

If you can, I urge everyone to attend your state fair. It's all good fun! Did I mention all the rides and other fun? ...

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment