Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Family meals are a true blessing.

Painting by Norman Rockwell
I think it's fair to say we all love food to a certain degree--hopefully in a healthy way. Growing up, my family always ate the evening meal together, at the dinner table. Our modern, chaotic, haphazard, and ridiculous schedules topple this concept much of the time. However, I still think it's important to gather at the table and eat. It's important. It's fun. It's worthwhile.

Why?

The main reason is so the family can get caught up on each other's lives. We need personal contact, and to ignore that reality is to the detriment of us all. We bond over food, and always have. Being together also encourages talking and getting to know each other. Sure, we hopefully enjoy good food, but it's the fellowship with loved ones that's primary in my mind.

Our lives are so busy, it's hard to find the time to get everyone all in one place. But, take the time and effort to do so. You'll quickly discover how treasured these moments become. I regret not spending more time with my children at the table. How is it we have all the time we need for silly activities, yet so little for the ones that truly matter? I'm not sure. What I do know is I hate regret, and leap at the opportunity to gather and talk and eat.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment