Monday, September 25, 2017

Do you have a plan for when you finish what you're doing?

When I was training for my black belt in Taekwondo, I had a laser focus on everything I needed to do. I trained daily, for hours and hours. I lived martial arts for the years I trained, even taking notes with me to church and ball games. There was never a doubt in my mind that I'd achieve my goal. I was the best, without the need to prove it to anyone. That kind of confidence allowed me to pursue Taekwondo with all my heart, and I never doubt myself even the slightest. Receiving my black belt was almost underwhelming.

And, then ... what?

I didn't have a new goal--aside from a second-degree black belt--and so I just kept training. What I discovered was a strange lack of focus. I didn't know what I wanted anymore, so I just drifted with what I knew. That didn't last long. Sadly, I wavered and finally dropped out. At the same time I learned a valuable lesson about setting new goals and never letting yourself float without a purpose.

Whatever you do in life, make sure you have a finish line in your sights. Then, when you reach the line, figure out a new one and aim yourself at that. If you leave yourself without one, you'll lose any interest in pushing yourself to new heights and will eventually fall to unwanted lows. We need to achieve, and even tiny wins are still victories. Motivation is the key to running life's journey, and will encourage you to strive to be your best.

Ask yourself, "What do I want? How do I get it done? When do I know I've done it?" Then, chase down your dreams and keep making new ones.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment