Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Crafting heirlooms to last generations

My wife creates beautiful quilts and cross-stich projects. We have a home decorated with many examples, and new ones all the time. I'm dazzled by her art. What makes me love them even more, is how they are sure to be cherished by our grandchildren. I know my wife will make more for every one of them, it's part of the fun for her. Crafting something that lasts is a real pleasure.

A marvelous quilt my wife made for a music teacher friend.
We humans create incredible art from the most insignificant objects, even objects which melt within a few hours, and only get better at the crafts with time. How much would a sketch Da Vinci drew on a napkin be worth today? Yet it perhaps took the master only a few quick minutes of doodling to fashion. Then, move to heirlooms--many taking years to complete--and watch the value skyrocket! Sentimental value is frequently far greater than any actual monetary value.

Heirlooms are passed on to the next generations, as treasures to keep within the family. Isn't it interesting how things with such high value aren't spent? Yes, we do value memories much more than money, despite what popular culture may say about it. I have my grandfather's old Bible, and I'll never part with it simply because it's a connection with him--a physical heirloom I can hold and remember. I'll bet that years down the line, our children will cuddle up underneath one of my wife's quilts and smile with warm memories. Ah, it's good to have heirlooms!

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment