Monday, April 3, 2017

They never really grow up, do they?

We have three marvelous children who are growing up far too quickly. I've often told them I won't allow it any more, and they must immediately stop growing up, but they haven't listened. I'm growing concerned that they actually have no intention of stopping, and want to become adults whether I approve or not. Maybe I should ground them?

At the same time, I do understand that my children will remain my children no matter how old they become. It's the tragedy of parents. We want our children to become fine men and women, yet hate to see them leave. We love their childish innocence, yet hope to see maturity and wisdom. We yearn for them to strike out on their own, yet fear for their safety. It's like being a parent is an exercise in contained terror, mixed with overwhelming emotions of love and laughter. Or, maybe I'm just going insane?

We all know the story of Peter Pan, the boy who wouldn't grow up. Throughout the story, Peter refuses to change, while the Darling children mature. It's a great story because the audience is faced with the inevitability of growing up, yet can still pretend to fight it. Sure, I joke about banning my children from getting older, but I sure don't mean it for real. My deepest desire is to watch with pride as they face the world, prepared and confident in their decisions.

Although ... maybe they could stay children for a little longer ...

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment