Sunday, October 16, 2016

Choose your own adventure

Did you ever read any of those "Choose your own adventure" type books when you were young? I always marveled at the variety and scope of them. It still fascinates me how these are created, because it seems like there's endless possibility and fun with every page. The process of writing those books must be like creating a complex maze, with twists and turns and dead ends aplenty. Yet, in the good ones, there's still a story to tell despite all the weaving about.
 
Have you created your own? Maybe in the back yard, amongst the ferns and undergrowth? My brother and I had massive fantasy battles that involved all sorts of armies and enemies. I'm sure we created nifty stories about it all, but it mainly gave us an excuse to play with pretend swords. My imagination had no trouble filling my little place in the world with untold dangers and thrills. Children can turn anything into a marvelous adventure!
 
I think the reason I have such fond memories of the "Choose your own adventure" books is because I got to choose what to do. Sure, the choice isn't really a free one--as there are only a few options--but I made the books my own. I even read them over and over so much that I still have them packed away somewhere. They are fun even now. My favorites were a series of three spy adventures, and it was like being James Bond.
 
Reading should be fun--at least for fiction--otherwise why would you bother reading in the first place?
 
-- M

No comments:

Post a Comment