Monday, October 3, 2016

Stage Musicals from Movies

Back when the "Lion King" came out, and subsequently became a huge hit, I remember talk of turning it into a Broadway musical. I thought the idea absurd (hey, I was young and the idea seemed so crazy, and didn't realize there's a long history of that very thing). But, I've always loved musicals. I grew up with "Sound of Music" and "Fiddler on the Roof" and "Westside Story," so it's in my blood to enjoy them.
 
One I sadly just became aware of is the musical "Ghost," inspired by the movie of the same name. That movie had a singularly powerful effect on me: when it was over, I felt like the real world was a shadow and the movie was true. I'm aware such mental shifts happen, but hadn't experienced it before. It didn't last long, but the emotion was overwhelming. The musical surges with that emotion through the music. Likely I'll never have opportunity to see it, which is a pity.
 
What especially impresses me is how the music is created with such sensitivity to the source movie. I've never written music, so it seems incredibly hard and difficult work. Yet, there are a constant stream of such musicals, even with movies hardly dealing with music much at all--such as, "Bridges of Madison County" or "Rocky" and even "Carrie"). The variety is astounding. Hopefully I'll have opportunity to see some Broadway shows; high on my list are "Beauty and the Beast" and "Les Miserable."
 
It's well worth seeing a stage musical, and there's plenty to choose from!
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment