Monday, October 17, 2016

Surprise! Happy --- something or other...

image credit
Have you ever been the recipient of a surprise party? Birthday, work, award, or whatever? Was it really a surprise, or did you already know? The better question is, would you let anyone do it again if you knew in advance?
 
I've only had the pleasure once, at work. They got me good. I never saw it coming, nor even suspected--no easy feat for those who know me. It was at work, on my last day at a job. Everyone was there to wish me well. After the initial rush of surprise and embarrassment, I felt deeply honored. Yes, I wanted to hide from everyone's eyes, but my gratitude overcame my reluctance. No, I wouldn't ask for it, yet I can't say I'd never like to feel that way again. It was ... extraordinary.
 
Why is it we love to surprise people so much? I think we get just as much pleasure when we give the surprise. It's like a present for everyone involved. And, there's the fact of a party being involved. Even if the person isn't surprised, there's hopefully a lot of fun and joy. After all, I doubt people plan surprise parties to irritate and annoy ... well, at least not if your friends like you.
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment