Monday, October 24, 2016

Where are you from? What's your hometown?

My hometown -- Telfs, Austria
At some point, we nearly always ask new acquaintances where they come from. Why do we care? Why do we want to know? Sure, we ask because we love connecting with people who are from somewhere near our own area, but even when that isn't true we still want to know. We learn about places we haven't seen, things we haven't done, and cultures we'll never be a part of. In that sense, we grow as citizens of the world. Human beings thrive on interpersonal connections, so it's only natural that we want to further it whenever the opportunity arises.
 
From a personal perspective, answering the questions offer us the opportunity to dig into our own memories and relive a bit of our childhood. I'll never forget the mountains I grew up around, or the walks through pine forests with dry pine needles cracking underfoot, or even my walk to school and the adventures I had (thinking back, I even remember my schoolmates giving me a gift LP album of the "Three Little Pigs" dramatized story--no idea what happened to that record, but at least I remember it). Those memories makeup who we fundamentally are, and it's a treat to share those with other people.
 
In the end, both sides of the question gain and improve. It's what's called a "Win-Win" situation. Plus, if you're lucky, you'll discover someone with the same hometown and you've made a quick friend. My wife and I met three states away from where we actually lived, and all because she wanted to know where I was from. Ah, the joys of asking a simple question!
 
So, where are you from?
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment