Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Let's debate!

To be fair, it does take at least some concentration to debate.
Well, now that politics have thrown debates into common vocabulary for a little while ... why is debating such an uncommon practice? I'm not talking about arguing without any hope of persuasion, but providing reasoned arguments either for or against a topic. Schools have debate clubs, and there are national debate teams, yet few people ever learn how to debate at all. Mostly, it's just arguing and calling names. We can use fancy words to describe debates, but in my mind debates are a form of persuasion where you provide your view in the hopes of changing opinion.
 
I've tried to teach my children how to have a civil disagreement (sometimes loudly) without moving beyond arguing varying points and into abusive attacks. Yes, it's okay to disagree. Actually, tolerance is defined by having someone you disagree with and letting them carry on disagreeing. Debates hopefully clarify the pros and cons to any particular subject, so reasoned thought can determine which is best for you. Bickering and finger pointing does nothing to persuade anyone, and it only causes strife.
 
I'm the first to admit my emotions get enflamed when people loudly disagree with me. Still, why should such disagreement be shut down? It's good to be challenged in your own beliefs. In fact, I'm a big believer in facing challenge because it's only then that you find out just how firmly you hold your views. If you can't back up your viewpoint, then you probably don't have much reason to believe it, do you?
 
Aha! Suckered you into a debate, didn't I? Yup, I'm sneaky that way.
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment