Monday, October 10, 2016

Decorating your room

As a guy, my sense of decoration pretty much ends with having four walls. I put up things that interest me, rather than what looks nice. I suppose my writing studio has a certain dramatic style. My wife, on the other hand, has impeccable taste. She manages to bring life to our house in ways I could never have imagined before. It's magical how she arranges and tinkers and makes our home a place to love.
I would've loved to have this as a kid!
image credit
I often think about how things have changed as I've grown older. One that hasn't is the deep desire to make my room my own place of expression. We naturally want a spot that's purely ours, with our stuff and our toys. Maybe that's why showing someone your room is such a personal and intimate gesture? Certainly allowing someone to remain in your room for more than a little look is a special privilege. Is the same true across the world?
 
Watching someone decorate is like getting a peek inside their minds. Little children decorate drawing pages with swoops and swirls of colors, often with little regard to the overall look, simply because they enjoy the process. As we age, we put more meaning into our doodles, until we create our own signature style and flair. Maybe some never reach such lofty heights--I'm sure I never have--yet when we see what some people have achieved, it's jaw dropping.
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment