Monday, July 13, 2015

Ode to my brother

I'm proud of my brother. I'm proud of the things he's done. I'm proud of the man he is. I'm proud to be his younger brother. Like any of us, his life experiences are very different from my own, but we share a family, a love of planes, and a deep respect for our wives and children. I love to brag that he is a pilot (not just any kind of pilot, but an instructor for other pilots while in the Air Force). I'd trust him with my life, the lives of my children and my wife. He'll do everything he can to help, and would give you the shirt off his back without a thought.

My brother with my youngest daughter
Yet, distance separates us. It's impossible to be as close as we'd like. I have visions of family picnics and barbeques, laser tag and trampoline parties. Half a country is a long way, even with the wonders of modern communication. Sadly true, distance makes us lazy in our relationships. I do wish my children knew my brother better. He's a great man, and a great brother. His children adore him, and his wife loves him.

There are precious few real compliments in our world. One of them, is: you're like your brother. I imagine most of us with brothers would take that very well. I love my brother, and I'm proud of him. Perhaps we will spend some more time together in the future. I'd like to think so. Whatever happens, I'm glad he's in my life.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment