Saturday, July 18, 2015

Build-it-Yourself ... put slot B in object T with tool J ... huh?

One of the most frustrating projects I've ever coped with was building our first baby crib. It was the most confounding and ridiculous build I've done in my entire life. I swear the people who designed the thing were Klingons, or possibly pranksters from another dimension. And, yes, I do read the instructions available. One thing I've realized is how important it is to read all through the directions first, because they invariably goof up the order of assembly.

photo credit
Yesterday, my wife and I bought a new television stand. It's sitting on the other side of the room, staring at me. I swear it's laughing maliciously, just waiting for me. I'm not completely sure it's not possessed. Maybe if I have someone come over and do an exorcism it'll assemble without disaster? Either way, I'm biding my time. I think if I sneak up on it when it's napping things will work out better. Okay. I admit it. I'm just not gonna do it until later.

I do have a suggestion though, and that's to put a difficulty rating on these things. Model airplanes have it, or at least they used to. If I knew it was a tough kit, then I wouldn't feel so lousy when I'm not getting the crazy thing together. And what's the deal with having parts left over? Extras, for later replacement? Or, do the designers expect that we destroy some bits and need a second one? Personally, I think the second choice is the likely one. Maybe they realize that anger management becomes an issue during these challenges? Wish me luck!

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment