Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Games of thought and logic. Especially turn-based or real-time strategy games.

Strategy games are the playground of the mind. My best buddy introduced me to them years ago (a little game called Command and Conquer). I'll admit I was never very good, but I was awesome at creating maps for it. Somehow I can make maps that improve computer AI and incredibly change the game--remember the 1 tree, Bert? Yup, I altered a game to insane difficulty by removing a single tree on my custom map. From then on the computer went absolutely crazy with difficulty. I love making maps.

When I was a kid, we played the board games Stratego and Risk. My dad stopped playing Stratego with me when I started laying traps and never giving openings, and we actually only played Risk a few times (maybe me staying up all night and planning out the first dozen or so moves was a negative? Dunno, but I accurately predicted everyone's moves, and I'm very proud of that). There's also Checkers and Chess, which are hugely more complex and great fun!

I still get a rush with strategy games, which is why I like puzzle games so much (or maybe it's the opposite?). Games like these teach forethought, consideration, and mostly patience. We do need reminders to stop and consider. Not everything should be point and click and rush. Give it some time and think about it. Let the possibilities race around in your mind's eye. Watch the outcomes and weight the options. With practice you'll find these new skills apply throughout your life.

So, yes, kiddies, playing games makes you better at life! Woohoo!

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment