Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Flying. How could it be any better?

Credit: clipartheaven.com
My favorite way to travel by a long shot is flying. I love it. I especially enjoy the blast toward the horizon during takeoff. Mankind has dreamt of soaring the skies for so long, but it's still one of our favorite dreams. I can't count the number of times I've dreamt of flying, and it never gets old.

Psychologists have a raft of reasons for the desire of flight, and I'm not interested at all. What's important to me is how fantastic the feeling of letting go of the ground and drifting on the wings of eagles comes to be. In a plane you only feel the power of the engines and the shuddering of the cabin in flight, but in dreams you feel everything. Skydiving is likely the only thing even coming close to the fun in dreams. There's also a wingsuit which allows you to glide in a kind-of flying sort of way (it's more like falling gracefully).

I think we crave the freedom to fly because we equate it with ultimate freedom of movement. Watching birds fly, I totally understand. It's magical, seeing a creature leap into the air and vanish into the sky. There's joy in those wings of a sort we can only guess. The funny thing is, birds have no idea how special they are and how much we jealously desire their abilities. Maybe it's just our nature to be jealous.

Either way, if you ever have the opportunity to fly (in dreams or otherwise), I highly recommend it. Live a little extra and fly the skies!

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment