Monday, July 6, 2015

What happened to all the goofy, silly, and optimistic shows? Give me a flash of hope!

Yes, this really was a fun television show!
My childhood was filled with crazy television shows that dealt with science fiction in a fun-filled way that didn't take itself too seriously. I know Star Trek (both original and Next Generation) tried, but I think the writers knew very well how to be snarky about it. Misfits of Science, Automan, Probe, and a raft of others. They all were optimistic about our future, and looking forward to new technologies. Despite whatever dangers they may have presented, they all encouraged the drive for better. Unbridled optimism about our future, and rosy expectations, ruled the day.

I know it's more realistic to show the defects and dangers, and I do enjoy those shows, but I also miss the joy of discovery. I yearn for the wide-eyed pleasure watching starships blast through space on voyages into the unknown. Look at Lost in Space, the old show with such a ridiculous concept it couldn't possibly work today, and compare it to newer ones like Firefly or Dark Matter. Dark and gritty, mixed with some wit and comedy, but the blood of pessimism flows throughout. They depict worlds where we only survive and cope, rather than succeed and flourish.

One great example of doing it right is The Flash. It's optimistic to a fault, featuring a cheery view of everything, even failure. Watching the show makes me feel great about the human race. Sure, there's dark times, but the story doesn't dwell on it. There's always an undercurrent of hope. I know nostalgia claims old memories and makes them rosy, but hope is great no matter what. Even when it's goofy, silly, and plain out crazy. Hope is a good thing. Bring it back!

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment