Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Chess, the playground of the mind


Keeping to the topic of logic for the moment... I'd like to discuss the game of chess. I think most people view the game as something highly intelligent people do for fun. While that is true, it is a battlefield simulation and a fantastic teacher of logical thinking. The trick is to remain moves ahead of the other player. There are very few lucky winners in chess.

Disciplined thinking is mature thinking. Ability to organize thoughts, plan strategies, and execute those ideas takes mental acuity. Some people seemingly are born with the ability, but I believe it's trained and learned. Like any muscle, the brain gets better the more it's exercised. Chess is a fine way to exercise that gray matter.

I don't pretend to be a grandmaster at chess--far from it--but I have learned a few things over the years. The most important thing I've learned is how to forecast the future, see farther ahead, and guess at moves. That talent is so useful in life it's hard to express how valuable it is. Try it out, and you'll see what I mean. It's the closest we can get to predicting the future. And, all from a game!

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment