Sunday, December 3, 2017

I woof you! Here's a gift ...

For Valentine's Day, my wife bought me a little stuffed animal dog, with the phrase, "I woof you!" on its side. I have it sitting at my desk. It's colors are ridiculous, it's a dachshund--so is wildly stretched--and there's a crazy smile on its face. The whole thing is silly. And ... I cherish it. My wife searched, found, and purchased this stuffed animal, for the sole purpose of giving me a token of her love. Of course it means the world to me.
image credit
Have you taken the time to give a gift of love? They don't even need to cost anything. Remember when you were young, and you made something out of a stick and gave it to your mother? She adored it, right? Yup. When we grow older, we still like getting those stupid little tidbits. Maybe it's because it demonstrates that you were actively thinking about the other person, or just that we like getting presents, but there is a lot going on beneath the surface emotions. I think it comes down to needing to be important to each other.

For some reason, there are those who disparage and put down these simple tokens of affection. I don't understand it. People want to give them. People want to receive them. Are the complaints real, or just sour people who haven't gotten any? Even at work, a simple gift is a huge gesture of friendship. Never underestimate the power of a yellow highlighter, or a can of soda pop. Find something unexpected and give it away ... who knows where it will lead.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment