Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Anticipation is hard to contain, especially pertaining to Star Wars.

I love the Star Wars movies, having watched them since they came out, and even have the ones people would rather forget. The new Episode 8 is coming out this week, and I can hardly wait. I've noticed reviews coming out already, though I've studiously ignored them completely. What really astounds me is how many contain full spoilers of the movie. Why do that? After all, the idea of a review is to educate, not spoil, the movie.

My hopes are that the story will continue in a good way. I don't mind old plot points being reused, or even seeing the old cast. What I hope is to experience a fun and engaging story, with space action and space guns and space twists. It's an adventure, but with laser swords. I try not to push my expectations overly high, because no story can possibly achieve legendary status on demand. Let it be fun and I'll be happy.

Disney has enormous plans for the Star Wars universe, including many spin-off movies and possibly another trilogy. Well, if the public wants it, then sure. My fear is that the story will lose its central position, and fan-service will take its place. Yes, fans love seeing their favorites on screen, but if there's no reason for it then the display falls empty in its own stewing juices. Create new worlds for us to experience, new characters to love, and especially new villains to make us quake in fear. Keep moving forward ... we'll hurry to catch up.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment