Monday, February 13, 2017

Robotic animals are awesome!

Years ago there was an MIT robotics lab that was making robotic insects. They were modelling their artificial intelligence routines on the basis of how they figured bugs do things. For instance, the individual legs all had their own tiny brains which basically were programmed to make the leg stand up. When the whole thing turned on, the legs stumbled briefly and then all stood up together. It's a marvelous idea, though I haven't seen it recently and so I wonder what ever became of it?

Now, there are robotic fish, sharks, worms, snakes, hummingbirds, bats, and I just saw an article about a bumblebee drone. Scientists find incredible inspiration by copying the animal world. I'm still waiting for my jetpack though--everything I read when I was young promised me jetpacks and flying cars by now! This makes me wonder why they haven't copied plants and rocks yet. There must be something useful in mountains and forests.

Cozmo
Efforts to create a synthetic pet are still pretty wacko though. I think we've all seen the Furby abominations, or the creepy toy dinosaurs that try to talk. There's just something deeply unsettling about a communicating machine trying to be cute and adorable. I don't mind robots, but those toys just make my skin crawl. There is a new bot called "Cozmo" that behaves very similarly to the fun robot "Wall-E" of the movie, and it's cute and fun and really expensive for what it is. Ah well. I do hope one day to have a little robot pet that doesn't wet the bed or chew my shoes.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment