Monday, February 20, 2017

Over or under, the great bathroom debate.

How is it possible that such a simple aspect of life can become such a topic for conflict? I'm talking about toilet paper of course. Does it go up and over, or under? This is such a thorny issue that it many times becomes more disagreeable than putting down the toilet seat--another tricky issue. Isn't it amazing how bent out of shape some people get about such topics? Kinda hard to believe, but relationships have been torn apart due to things as goofy as this. Can't we all just get along?

image credit
Take a look at your own life, and tell me there aren't little things that upset you. My wife and I can now laugh about one of my little idiosyncrasies--closing cabinet doors, ugh, I was such an idiot back then. Maybe it's having furniture in certain position, or books out of sequence, or tools in their correct place? Yes, obsessive compulsion could be part of it, but I think we don't like whatever order we've created being disrupted by someone else. It's a matter of control.

Does control mean so much to us, that we can't allow toilet paper to be "wrong?" Pretty silly when you think about it that way. Cheer up, though, since there's hope for you yet! Spot the craziness in your life and cut it out. See, easy. Does it really matter if you have to roll the toilet paper a different direction? I know you love your car, but does a tiny scratch on the paint ruin your life? Don't let it wreck your life. There are lots of things more important, and dare I say it ... nearly everything is more important.

Don't sweat the little things; put your energy into what truly matters.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment