Monday, December 28, 2015

Cartography -- ie. mapmaking

Have you ever looked at really old maps? Especially ones without North America on them. They have really interesting parts, such as the famous "Here be dragons" and vague boundaries of Africa and other areas. There was so much unknown at those times, and it's interesting to imagine how this changed as the world became understood. I wonder what it was like not to know? Going into the darkness must have taken real courage. After all, dragons were real, weren't they?
 
Do we still have that kind of unknown now? Yes, there's space and the vast areas underwater. I think we all have a primal fear of large vistas of water, because who knows what's underneath. And space, wow, it's totally empty, hostile, and filled with unexpected terrors. But, also very beautiful. The unknown is like that, I think. When you really come face-to-face with it, there's a surprising beauty to be found. Well, unless it's a zombie or some kind of space vampire or something--that wouldn't be nice at all.
 
I'd love to collect old maps. They are works of art, and relics of a bygone era. The world will never again look strange and unknown. And, there are stories hidden in those maps, secrets to find, and mysteries to solve. Mostly, they're history and I'd love to own a small piece of it. Funny, I never expected I'd want to learn more history, but I do. Truly, knowing the past helps us know the future. And, it's like time travelling, with art at your side.
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment