Saturday, March 7, 2015

The love of my life

Beth, an angel come to Earth and keeper of my heart
A drop of living sunshine. The gift of ages. The mold by which women were made. She is my wife, my love, my best friend, and my truest supporter. I am blessed each and every day by her smile, her encouragement, and her vast wisdom. I can't imagine a world without her. She is always there, a steady rock during the tumultuous times, and a beacon of hope when everything seems wrong. She is the treasure of my life, a jewel beyond price and a prize above all others.

Her name is Beth, and I met her in a far away land called Wyoming. We met at a summer camp (actually a ranch) where we both worked on staff. She showed me how she could pop her hip in and out, I showed that I could cross my eyes and wiggle them, she demonstrated the cat's claws she could do (bending only the very tips of her fingers while the rest remained straight), and I demonstrated how my pinkie finger can curl up like an errant sea worm (an old softball injury). It was love at first sight. We took it slow, seeing each other each and every night after the campers went to bed, and talked and talked and talked. She fast became the best friend I'd ever had.

At some point it moved into love. I'm not sure when, it was so natural. But, at a campfire she snuck her hand over mine and told me she loved me. I was awestruck, and after a few minutes contemplation answered back that I loved her back. Suddenly, the world was different, newer, fresher. For the first time in life there was a loving partner to share it with. I'll never forget it as long as I live. We moved without rush, praying about each move forward in our relationship, and keeping ourselves sane.

I asked her to marry me at the weekly rodeo, in front of 200+ people. I played Roy Orbison's "Pretty Woman" as she walked through to the announcer's booth. I knelt down and proposed. It was pure magic. She said, "I'd be delighted to." I gave her balloons, a rose, and a fake glass ring. She blushed and grinned and floated. I don't remember anything else of the rodeo ... just her smile.

Beth, you are the greatest blessing of my life. Thank you so much for you care, your love, your advice, and your constancy. You are my best friend and always will be.

I love you.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment