Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Mazes, Labyrinths, and really tough puzzles.

 
Labyrinths are a special kind of maze, mainly because nobody uses the word anymore (and because it's where the Minotaur is kept). Mazes typically have one entrance and one exit, while labyrinths generally have one (or more) entrances, and contain a middle secret room (sometimes even more than one). Either way, the concept is a tough to navigate path that twists and winds all around and has an exit/prize at the end. Such things have a historic significance that I won't get in to, but they are now neat puzzles that can become insanely complex. My favorites are three dimensional puzzles that are in the shape of a cube, possibly with slices that can be pulled out and manipulated--in that sense, the Rubik's Cube is a type of maze.
 
The fascinating part of mazes is how often they appear in stories. I suppose there's something romantic about them because of the Minotaur, and maybe because it can demonstrate the high intellect of characters by letting them solve it. If you've ever had the joy of being in a hedge maze, or a cornfield maze, you know just how easy it is to get lost. Take a few quick turns without paying attention and you are hopelessly confused. I'd love to be up in a crane and watch people navigate such a maze. I think it'd be hilarious.
 
When I was young I drew quite a few mazes. I even made one on a roll of paper that was something like 6 feet long and 3 feet wide. I'm not sure how long it took to create, but I do know my brother never managed to solve it (well, at least not before he got bored and gave up). I was very proud of myself. The trick is making lots of fake paths and dead ends, and working backward from the exit to the entrance. I also made a computer program that created mazes as well, which was fun to do. Mazes are like secret codes to me... I can't get enough of them.
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment