Saturday, November 8, 2014

Inspiration, the power of sudden imagination.

One of my favorite movies is a lesser known Steven Spielberg one called, "Always." I won't dare spoil even the beginning of this marvelous film, since every piece is tightly woven into the overall narrative, but I will say it deals with the concept of inspiration and where it comes from. The idea in the movie is that inspiration (or "divine breath" as used in the movie) is given at times of great need. More than that, inspiration is a gift, a loving touch... a blessing. I highly recommend the movie. It's a shame such a great movie hasn't gained more of a following.
 

 In our society, inspiration has rather drifted away as a concept. I'm sure I'm not the only writer who is asked, "Where do you get your ideas?" It's a simple question with a truly complex answer. Everybody is different. We draw inspiration from the worlds within us and around us. How can you put your finger on a single thing that created a story? I don't think it's possible. So, when people ask me where my ideas come from, I'll likely say, "Wal-mart." I just don't know. Regardless, inspiration is a curiously magical thing.. at times simply taken, and others drifting away like a Summer breeze.
 
One thing I do know is that you don't get inspired by sitting and doing nothing. You have to move, read, create, do, activate that brain, run your body, and make anything happen. Even sitting alone, in a dark room, if you allow your mind to wander you will find ideas flitting through your brain without struggling for them. Basically, live life and you will find your inspiration. Once again, there is magic in our lives, if you'll only open your eyes to see it. How else can I explain inspiration, but that it's a special kind of magic?
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment