Saturday, November 15, 2014

Visiting relatives, in-laws, and *gasp* ... parents

My parents are here this weekend. Uh oh. Time for cleaning, vacuuming, taking out those incomplete improvement projects, and making everything seem perfectly fine. I know we aren't the only ones who do so. I'd wager most people don't want their relatives seeing dirty clothes laying around, or dusty plants, or even unmade beds. We are wired to impress.
 
 
Sadly, I had a couch littered with clothes I was putting on hangers when they showed up. And, I was also fixing our computers (actually had our internet cut off due to a pesky virus) so we could get back online--the cause of my lateness, I apologize. So, as always, my parents showed up when I wasn't ready for them. I'm sure my wife is rolling her eyes right now, but isn't it always true that parents look exactly at the precisely wrong time? They always seem to see what they aren't supposed to. I think it's eerie, almost mystical. Maybe it's parental superpowers? ... Oooh, so I'm a super-powered parent! Woohoo!
 
Hopefully my parents will forgive me, as I'm sure they will, and enjoy their weekend. That's my goal at least, to provide a comfortable place for them as they visit. We surprised them with a special meal, and are now watching football--and naturally our team is loosing. I want to show them a movie or two that they'll enjoy, and it'll be a great time.
 
In the end, I'm glad my parents are visiting. I'm glad to have visitors at all. It's nice knowing people want to come by and say hello. There's nothing quite like the feeling of being wanted. It's good to have family.
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment