Friday, June 14, 2013

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

I'm sure many of you have seen the recent Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey film. Like many Tolkien fans, I was a bit concerned when I heard that the book would be split into 3 films. However, the first installment was a lot of fun for me. I think that's actually the main point of storytelling anyway, to keep the reader/viewer entertained.

Some high points for me were the underground goblin scenes. Fantastic imagery, and the flight through the cave was enjoyable. Naturally, the scenes with Gollum were spectacular, but I doubt any of us expected anything less. Also, the parts in Rivendell were breathtaking and I relished seeing parts we haven't before (such as the crystal table where moon runes are read).

Apparently, Peter Jackson took quite a lot of backstory that was published in other books and incorporated those into the Hobbit movies; especially the bits regarding the Necromancer (and I won't spoil who that is). I didn't mind those inclusions at all, since those stories are in Tolkien's world, why not include them? However, it did change the tone of the story from a simple heroic adventure, into a larger world story where Bilbo is only a player. It fits more in with the Lord of the Rings trilogy that way, and I understand that. But, the joy of The Hobbit for me has always been the adventure with Bilbo as the unlikely star. Making the story larger diminishes him, and for that I'm sorry.

All that said, I am looking forward to the rest of the movies. I just watched the trailer for the next one, The Desolation of Smaug. Not surprisingly, it looks amazing. So, here's hoping that the stories maintain a high standard. I'm after a great tale, but more than that I just want to be entertained.

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment