Saturday, June 29, 2013

Planet of the Apes

Planet of the Apes. A classic science fiction series of movies. I adore science fiction, but I've never seen the classic movies. I know about them, of course, but they always seemed too cheesy for my tastes. They were from the time of stories where writers loved to use Earth as the ultimate punchline.

However, with that all said, I absolutely loved the new Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

The story is a prequel to the original. It serves to give the reasons for why Earth was taken over by intelligent apes. The ideas are pretty solid actually, with pretty plausible explanations for nearly everything (of course, plausible only if you take a few leaps of belief about science). Anyway, the characterizations of the two main characters are spot on, the chimp--Caesar--and the human scientist--Dr. William. I love how there is such actual chemistry between what is a totally CGI creation and the actors.

What I especially appreciate is how the plot moves unstoppably along. Sure, the story is predestined due to the subject, but I love that it's never forced. Everything that happens is because of what happened prior, and Caesar is amazingly tactical.

So, if you enjoy science fiction then check it out.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment