Thursday, March 16, 2017

Pets know when you hurt

Have you ever seen a family pet curl up with someone who isn't feeling well, apparently knowing the person is hurting? I never believed it myself, at least until we got a cat. This cat knows! I swear. Before I had my knees replaced, she would curl up beside me while I struggled with the pain. It happened often enough that I couldn't ignore the connection. Now, the cat is sitting at my shoulder, purring contentedly, just to give me company. It's uncanny.

image credit
My question doesn't really need an answer, but it's this, "Why do pets form such deep relationships with us?" I'm sure there's many reasons, and probably quite a few books written about the subject. To me, pets connect with us in a way no human can. There's a bond which goes beyond life itself. It's so special that I would wish all children could have pets, but I know sometimes it's just not practical or possible. A pet gives children something smaller than themselves to take care of, and the bonds between them develop almost instantly--it's a privilege to witness the process.

Being on the receiving end of that love and attention is comforting and disturbing. How can such grand emotion cross between such completely different beings? Yet, it does. Our pets become as much a part of our hearts as any other segment of our own bodies. So, yes, pets do know we hurt. How could they not? They're a part of us.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment