Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Memories of home

There are sounds that instantly bring to mind your home, or smells which trigger memories of your mother's cooking, and photos you will never get rid of because they are simply too precious. There's a saying, "Home is where the heart is," but I think we place far more importance on home than leaving it as a trite concept. We remember our childhood homes with fondness exceeding any actuality and push them firmly into happy fantasy. In some ways we spend the rest of our lives searching for a way to return to those long-gone days.

Having been born in another country, and living my first seven and a half years there, I remember pretty well a few things (not as much as I'd like though). I keep a flower from there, and if I allow myself to dwell on memory it won't take long before tears are flowing. Incredible how powerful the memory of childhood is! I wish I had kept some trinkets from then, but children aren't the best at keeping memories.

Throughout our lives, we might have many homes, and all of them affect us deeply. On some level, we sink down roots and are reluctant to leave. Sure, there are places we are happy to leave, yet we still remember them. It's a funny quality. Nostalgia could explain it, I guess. I'm not sure though. We leave a piece of ourselves in the places we live. When we leave, a part of us feels distant and lost.

Here's hoping your memories of home are sweet and well remembered.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment