Thursday, July 14, 2016

Rolling in grass and stomping in the mud ... the joys of childhood.

If you've been around children, you've seen them roll in the grass and play in water puddles. A pool of mud is as fascinating to a little kid as the grandest diamond or the most perfect painting. Ant hills are endless entertainment. I remember well, when I was a little carpet muncher, walking home from elementary school and playing in the gutters. I made little dams and waterfalls for the water to run down, and make tiny whirlpools. I never tired of it. Actually, I still haven't, even now.
 

There's a simple kind of fun in the way children play. There's no grandeur to it; nothing fancy or special. They just want to play, and that's it. And, they group up without a care in the world. Go to any playground and you'll see them making friends with everyone there. There's magic in the way kids play, and I wish we all could enjoy it each day. The world would be a happier place.

Even animals play. I've watched seals slide down waterslides, horses rolling in the grass, and even a crow making an improvised sled with a plate so it could slide down a snowy roof. Why do we forget how to play as we get older? Are adults too aloof to have fun? We do enjoy watching and laughing, but why do we draw the line at joining in? I think we should break away from our stubbornness now and then and have a bit of mindless fun. It'll do your heart good.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment