Thursday, July 28, 2016

"Hey, Bert, watch this!"

 
We all love impressing people, though it's particularly true with guys. This attitude never fades with age. I've seen grandparents do astonishingly stupid things--no, dad, I don't mean you specifically ... honest. I'm guilty of it as much as any other man. I've never really understood why we do it, other than bragging rights. I suppose we yearn to be extraordinary in some way. Well, I imagine that's why we say, "Hey, watch this," as we leap from a rooftop, onto a pile of mattresses. More than a few emergency room visits are the direct result of such optimism.
 
My best friend was often the laughing spectator, as I extended my string of failures in his presence. I tried stopping, but there was always the hope of eventual victory. Yeah, those didn't turn out well. Maybe if I hadn't gotten his attention first? Nah, because then he wouldn't see me in spectacular form. Okay, it never worked, but winners always get up one more time than they fail, right?
 
At some point we gain a bit of wisdom, and stop doing silly things. Maybe it's the wisdom of many bruised back ends, or the ridicule of friends, or the rolled eyes of parents. Whatever the reason, we shove down the little voice that says, "I bet I could do that. How hard could it be?" Then, we go scour the internet for videos of other idiots doing foolish things. I think that's a pretty good pastime, and there are so many! It's an unending display of goofs and pratfalls.
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment