Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Journals and Diaries

A page from Dr. Jones' journal--from "Indiana Jones: The Last Crusade"
Do you keep a diary, or a journal? As a writer, sure I do. I'll put down thoughts, ideas, goals, and various commentary on whatever is happening in my life. I can't say I've ever kept a diary of my life, though. I've never understood the concept, since no one is to ever read what you put down. Where's the sense in that? I should charge people to read my thoughts...
 
Ahem, ah, back to the topic.
 
We have long known the benefits of working out your feelings on paper. Somehow, by simply expressing thoughts, even if nobody sees them, you can negotiate very deep feelings and move along with your life. Why doesn't it work if you talk it out in an empty room? Maybe it does, but it certainly hasn't worked for me. Still, it's amazing the good you can do for yourself just by setting down your thoughts.
 
Strangely, there is a strong stereotype that only girls keep diaries (boys supposedly keep "journals") and that boys aren't interested in that sort of thing. However that idea started, I just can't agree. I think it's the personality type. Those who are very introspective tend to dwell on their thoughts and so keep diaries. Creative types want their ideas useful for later reference. Or, anyone who simply feels the need.
 
I think diaries, and journals, are some of the most important writings we humans will ever create. They provide a direct perspective of events in someone's life (notable even more if that person is famous). If you've ever lost someone close, then find a diary of theirs, would you be grateful and happy? I'll bet you would be. It's like having a permanent piece of them returned to you.
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment