Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Good intentions gone awry

Many times we do things with the very best intentions, but then it all goes wrong. Many things can happen, and usually do, even though we do everything we can to prevent it. However, it's interesting how we never give up trying. Despite our failures, we keep doing what we can to put things right, to fix it all, and to make it better in the future. Even with all our flaws, we humans are an optimistic bunch and we don't give up.
 
Being in the medical field myself, it's always amazed me how great the human spirit to survive becomes. When we are living easily and without stress, that quality isn't seen much. But, when things are tough and we are facing the end of it all, we find an inner reserve of strength that's truly astonishing. Yes, there are many horrible things in our world, but we'd rather remain a part of the good things than step away. It's been said that true character is revealed by the fires of life, and I've seen it happen time and again.
 
My wife frequently tells me I stress about things that don't matter. She's right. Maybe it matters that our intentions are good, maybe it doesn't. Whatever happens, we move on or get trapped by regret. I hate regret. It's one of the few things that can drag me into the pits of despair before I even know what's happened. We can't redo the past, so why dwell on it? Kick the dust off your feet and try again. Maybe this time your good intentions will win out. Whatever happens, just do your very best.
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment