Monday, March 7, 2016

Learning never stops, and really is good for you. Honest.

Something I try very hard to do is learn. There is a world out there of things I don't know. But, even stuff I do know, I can always learn more. I admit, it's very easy to sit back and eat jelly while I watch television. Simply switch off your brain and let someone else drive for a while. Why should I take the time and effort to stuff more and more information (much of it trivial, I agree) into my already full noggin? Because when you stop learning you drift aimlessly in a sea of other people's opinions.
 
I'm fond of telling my children that they should never flatly accept what someone tells them is true. Get to the source (often, happily, in a book) and find out themselves. Educate yourself and make up your own mind about it. I want to have solid debates with knowledgeable people, who can back up their arguments and hopefully help me see another point of view. It's no fun always having the answer, so I make it a point to help others find it themselves.
 
My point is you don't have to be in school to continue learning. Discovery is a primal urge of we crazy humans. Indulge yourself now and then. Find something new and learn about it. Pick a hobby and practice. Get your brain working and you'll be happy to discover the old gray matter works pretty well. Flex those mental muscles and become a new titan of philosophy, or science, or art, or whatever you wish. Learn!
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment