Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Quilts for days!

My wife love quilts. She has made many of them, and is always working on one or two or a dozen. There are cross-stich quilts, rag quilts, pieces quilts, and many pattern quilts. She's fond of giving them away to friends and family too. I'm amazed by her generosity, especially considering all the time and money invested in the quilts. I bet everyone who gets them treasures them as heirlooms. They really are that good.
 
In a way, quilts are like stories. There's a beginning, middle, and end. There's certainly lots of personality in them. Some are heroes of the club, while a few are tragic figures stuck together with duct tape and safety pins. But, they're all a journey of discovery and a portal to another world. Archaeologists can determine much about a culture based on quilts and needlework. Some cultures are defined by the story of their quilts, such as the Amish or the fabled flaw in Persian rugs.
 
Because of my wife, I have a greater appreciation for the effort in making quilts. I'd never understood just how much work they are. Honestly, I don't know how anyone can make money selling quilts unless they're machine made. A fair price for handmade quilts should be in the thousands. But, that's not likely. Well, I think people who make quilts are doing it because they love it and not for potential profit (maybe I'm wrong, but quilters seem very generous in what they do).
 
I can hardly wait to try out the next one my wife makes!
A marvelous "House" quilt. Isn't Beth wonderful!
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment