Monday, February 16, 2015

Frailty of the once strong and mighty

We all grow old. It's a fact of life. Because of that, we don't mind when our heroes/villains grow old with us. It reminds us that we are human, and that things never remain the same for long. I find it personally very poignant right now because I've had both knees replaced at a pretty young age. It's humbling; very humbling. I gained my black belt in Taekwondo right out of high school, I can bench press with one arm what most cannot do with both. Yet, now I quail in fear at the sight of ice on the front steps--truly one of the most terrifying things in life right now, as I nearly broke my back and legs trying to get to work today and then again going to get salt to melt the ice. As I said--humbling.
 
When main characters have frailties of some sort (or overall as from age) it makes them that much more human. We like identifying with main characters. We as an audience have a need to connect emotionally and physically with them (even when they are superheroes or aliens). When they are so completely beyond us they fall into the realm of gods who are incomprehensible. There's not much tension developing when characters are like that, and stories are all about tension. More tension means more interest and with greater interest it makes the audience want more. As authors, we hope our audience wants ever more of what we have to offer!
 
Frailty is a funny thing, though. Too little and it doesn't matter, but too much and its overwhelming. There are exceptions of course. I think about my favorite detective: Columbo. I can't imagine him chasing any criminal down on foot, or lifting a car over his head. However you decide to use frailty, make sure you do it with specific purpose in mind. And, even better, make the character's frailty something that has a direct impact on the story. It's there to create deep connections with the audience. Just try not to fall on your face--
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment