Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Computer/Console gaming

I've played computer games since consumer PCs first appeared on the market (yup, I'm really old). It's fascinating to watch how things have changed, especially how stories have changed with graphics becoming ever more impressive. To begin, it was simply text and everything was very much like a book. Now it's like living inside a movie.

Some of the games I've played have touched me deeply with their storylines. I cherish those times, and even subsequent replays are fantastic. I love getting caught up in them, like I'm living the story from the inside out. Even some online games have captured that for me, but in those it seemed that I brought the story and the game provided the environment. Maybe some of the fun of the story is that it isn't restricted entirely by the authors of the games--there's freedom in a game to do what you want, some more than others but there's always at least a bit.

The funny thing is that computer/console games don't translate very well into movies. You'd think such a visual medium would move into another visual medium, but I guess not. But, I'd love to find out personally how hard it is to do such a screenplay...

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment