Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Music that makes my blood prickle through my skin

Like many writers, I listen to music as I work. But, there are certain pieces that I absolutely must stop and give full attention to. I can't get enough of songs like that. One quick example is "Empty chairs, at empty tables" from the musical Les Miserables. It sends chills up and down my spine. I adore that song (especially when Michael Ball sings it).

Music is a special kind of thing, that sometimes tells a story, and many times exists for the sake of its own rhythms. I find myself coming up with all sorts of little stories as I listen to songs, like the music is sparking some sort of creation within me. Hard to explain, but I can't get enough of it.

What I really wonder is do songs like that come about by happy accident, or is that heartstirring actually implanted by the composer? It seems so mystical and incredible to me. There's magic in songs. Undeniable, incredible, impossible magic.

I will admit that my guilty pleasure is what's called "trailer" music--as in music that's featured in movie trailers/previews. It's pounding, epic, dynamic music that hurtles past like thundering buffalo. Hard not to like it, but it does get repetitive. I don't mind. I'll listen to Posthumus for hours, and not even notice.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment