Monday, August 5, 2013

Watching others have fun

A very odd part of stories is that we get to watch other people have fun. I suppose it's only natural that we want to see interesting people do interesting things. But, consider for a moment that famous beach volleyball scene from Top Gun. Why is it so enjoyable to watch these guys (beefy I suppose, ripped for sure) smash around a ball?

I think it's because they look better doing it. Sure, it's vain, but then why not make even fun an escapist fantasy? Isn't it part of the viewing experience to watch someone have even more fun that you can possibly have? I'd say that it certainly is.

Knowing that, I'm thinking that I really need to make use of that and put scenes of absolute joy into my books. I'd think that making the story a little addicting by adding some pointless fun is all kinds of good. Why not? It sure doesn't hurt anything, and pampers the reader/viewer. And, a little pampering goes a very long way.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment