Thursday, August 22, 2013

Robots, Mountains, and Kids

One book that shaped my childhood has to be: The White Mountains by John Christopher. It's the first of a trilogy. You see, Earth has been completely taken over by mechanical tripods (much like HG Wells' story). But, the story is told from a young boy about to be "capped"--which removes free will to rebell against the tripods.

The trilogy goes from that humble beginning, through a hidden rebellion, and finally out to the massive domes housing the monstrous masters. It's an exhilerating ride, and I've loved re-reading the books I have. Well, had, since my copies took a swim and fell apart. But, they are still alive in my memory and I'm all the better for it.

Science fiction is a wonderful medium for a story. I always enjoy new ideas, that somehow make sense if you stretch enough. The genre enjoys saying that all its ideas are plausible, but a lot of the time it's not much more than fantastical tales featuring technology. I don't mind. In fact, I think we need more stories like that. Take our current circumstances and extrapolate until you get ideas that ring true and real.

Check out The White Mountains. Terrific stuff. You won't be sorry.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment