Wednesday, November 4, 2015

New toys! Yippee! And, big boy toys too!

Since I'm big and old, I get to buy better toys. At least, that's what I'd like to think. Truth is, my toys don't extend much beyond computers and gadgets. I wouldn't turn down a yacht though, if anyone wants to give me one. The fun thing about new toys is figuring out how they work, the little secrets, and the inevitable flaws. It's all in good fun. The best toys are ones you don't expect to delight--maybe because they're simple, cheap, or old. Those special toys end up on your shelf deep into adulthood.
 
I think we lose that joy as we grow older. But, why? I remember giving my mother little trinkets that I'd made (I knew at some level they were fairly worthless, but I was proud of my achievements anyway), and bathed in the rapturous delight of praise my mother inevitably rained upon me. I hope I've done the same as a father, because I'm tremendously proud of my children! Maybe as we age the appreciation goes away, but that doesn't have to spoil the joy of toys.
 
Actually, I believe the real issue is adults are told they shouldn't play. Well, why not? Are we too important to play? Or, maybe too stuffy, stodgy, and stiff to get down on our knees and pretend? If you get a new toy, it's a rule of nature to play with it! Enjoy yourself. You work hard, don't you? Why shouldn't you play just as hard? Get out your toys and have a blast. Let everyone know you got something neat, cool, awesome, wonderful, and joyous. Who knows? Maybe the joy will spread?
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment