Monday, November 23, 2015

Dreaming of days gone by.

One of my favorite activities with friends is to tell tales about things we've done together. Especially games we've played (I know I should outgrow such silly things, but I can't help myself ... I love playing!) We'll talk for hours about silly things, stuff we did, and mostly simply relive times of glory. It's a sort of heroic storytelling I suppose, but mainly we are reviving connections we share and bringing those times to life again. It's wonderful. Knowing this happens makes me all the more likely to play games with my children, so we'll also share those times of connection that are so vastly important to me now. And, playing is what I know best, so why not have fun at the same time?
 
This is called a "fish tornado." Really, it's true.
I talk a lot about fun and imagination (other than writing, it does show up most often in my topics), and that's because I think we lose the ability as we age. It takes a lot of work to maintain my imagination (no, I'm not daydreaming ... I'm working!). Like any muscle, you need to exercise it. Kids do this naturally, but adults must force themselves to have fun and imagine. Gazing at clouds is a good start, but try stepping into the world of your 5 year old's backyard. There be dragons and knights and ninjas and oceans. If you allow your very methodical and mature adult mind to float along, you'll surprise yourself what you find.
 
Telling tales of adventures gone by is a way of reliving them, and cherishing time with friends. We live through the connections we have with people around us. How shallow must life be if we cannot text someone with "!" and not get back a grin. Try it with your special someone. At the very least, you'll get a fun conversation started. Here's a hint: try being mysterious and draw it out so long that your friend completely mistrusts everything you say and won't believe you until they see you in person. Now, that's fun!
 
- M

No comments:

Post a Comment