Friday, February 7, 2014

Winter Olympics, go for the gold!

Go, go, Winter Olympics! I absolutely love the Winter Olympics, and this is apparently the most expensively produced Olympics yet. My favorite sport is downhill racing, probably because I grew up in Austria (well, not grew up, but spent the first nearly 8 years of my life there). It's always a fun time to witness the Olympics, and I wish all the participants a good competition.

It's actually pretty amazing that this singular event has continued for so long, tying the entire world together in the spirit of competition. The athletes know they are ambassadors for their countries, and behave in a manner that dignifies everything their countries stand for. I love it. This year there is also a team from Jamaica, doing the bobsled event (just like the movie, Cool Runnings). I'm always impressed with the extent of participation from throughout the world, and I hope it continues on and on and on.

The opening ceremony was an amazing spectacle, as always, and I especially appreciated the new technology that allowed such incredible visuals to be displayed on the floor of the arena. I'm impressed that so much effort went into it, and that it basically all worked correctly (aside from the oops with the Olympic Rings, but I think we can all agree that mishaps happen). This will be a great time for the athletes, and I pray for their health and good fortunes. Let the games begin!

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment