Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Daydream a little, it's good for you.

Why is it that adults tell kids to stop daydreaming? Is it a bad thing? No. Although, I will admit that anything in excess is, well, excessive. Still, what is so bad about sitting back and letting your mind wander? It's a marvelously relaxing activity, and a treasure trove of ideas. I especially enjoy tossing around a few elements and watching as my imagination turns things topsy turvey. It's fun.

One aspect of adult life that gives me the chills is how we stop playing make believe. It's almost a right of passage, where we "grow up" and stop being silly kids. That's really the basis for the story of Peter Pan, and the world of Neverland seems like a long daydream. There, kids never grow up and play pirates all day long. I suppose I'm being goofy, but that doesn't seem all too bad to me.

Whatever your reasons, I think there's a very good place in life for letting your mind off its reins and enjoying the outcomes, whatever they are. Even adults can use some good dreamtime. The funny thing is, the actual content of daydreaming doesn't seem to matter. The act alone expands imagination, loosens the mind, and inspires--all without being obvious to anyone watching. I'd even say that without a little bit of solid daydreaming, the brain drains away, gets stiff and stops trying. We need our imagination to find novel solutions to everyday problems. Why give up anything so useful?

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment